This is interesting, and terrifying. Review the different referendum questions the Texas Democrat party voters and Republican party voters are considering for 2014. Are the leaders speaking different languages to their constituents?
Is there any way Democrats and Republicans will ever be able to communicate with one another when the languages they speak are so opposite? The “looking glass” each group sees the world through colors their very concepts of legitimacy, responsibility, and “right and wrong.” (Amazingly, the divergent world views exhibited here instantly remind me of the worldviews exhibited by the King George’s Generals and Paul Revere’s contemporaries. Each side repeatedly lamented “why aren’t they listening to us? Why can’t they understand? Why are they so unreasonable?” (Start here for further understanding: http://therionorteline.com/2013/04/19/happy-birthday-american-liberty-19-april-1775/)
Can reconciliation and agreement, a “meeting of the minds”, be attained when completely different concepts, languages and belief systems exist? Completely different entities are looked to for inspiration and support. Completely different entities are seen as oppressors. Do you believe your rights are God-given or Government-given?
How can the following concept be first and foremost with one group, and completely illegitimate with the other group? How can a “right” be given by Government if that which can be “given”, can also be “taken away”. If something can be taken away by Government, then how can “it” be a right? Why is something that is given/taken by other men a “right” and not “a privilege”?
Do you look to “Our Creator” for guidance and renewal, or do you look to Government to force others to “give”?
If you believe Government authorized force through time was the source of great injustices such as slavery or segregation; how can additional Government action or force be the solution to the problem of unrestrained government power and actions?
Do you wish to be free to act as long as you leave others alone, or do you seek to control other’s actions by forcing them to conform to what you believe is fair? Who uses the term “fair”. Consider the term “fair”and what it truly means.
The Republican Party of Texas will have 6 referendums on the ballot for Tuesday’s March 2014 primary election.
Republican Primary Ballot Questions
- Texans should be free to express their religious beliefs, including prayer, in public places.
- Texas should support the Second Amendment liberties by expanding locations where concealed handgun license-holders may legally carry.
- Texas should abolish the state franchise tax, also known as the margins tax, to encourage business growth.
- Texas recipients of taxpayer-funded public assistance should be subject to random drug testing as a condition of receiving benefits.
- All elected officials and their staff should be subject to the same law, rules, regulations and ordinances as their constituents.
- Affordable Care Act should be repealed.
Proposed referendums for the Democratic Party platform: from http://www.txdemocrats.org/act/democratic-primary (I only saw 4 questions on the actual “sample ballot” on my county’s website.)
Democrat Primary Ballot Questions
- REFERENDA ITEM# 1ON A LIVING WAGE FOR ALL TEXANS The Texas Legislature should raise the state minimum wage to a livable wage and Congressshould pass legislation raising the federal minimum wage to 110% of the federal poverty level for a family of four without exception.
- REFERENDA ITEM #2ON MEDICAID EXPANSION The Governor and the Texas Legislature should accept federal funds; as provided in the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act of 2010; for the expansion of Medicaid to provide coverage to millions of uninsured and underinsured Texans.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 3ON THE TEXAS DREAM ACT The Legislature should allow any Texas high school student; who has lived in the state for at least three years and lived here continuously for the last year; be eligible for in-state tuition for higher education and be able to earnlegal status through a higher education or military service.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 4ON FAIR PAY The United State Senate and House of Representatives should pass the Paycheck Fairness Act to ensure that women lawfully receive equal pay for equal work and grant legal redress over gender based pay discrimination.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 5ON REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS The Texas Legislature should repeal all legislation prohibiting women; in consultation with their doctors;from making their own health care decisions and affirm that the access to reproductive and contraceptive care cannot be abridged by an employer for any reason and must be free of harassment and discrimination.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 6 ON COMPREHENSIVE SEX EDUCATION The Texas Legislature should fund targeted efforts to reduce Texas’ high teen pregnancy rates; through the provision of evidence-based; accurate and effective; comprehensive age-appropriate sex education programs with an abstinence and contraception component.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 7ON NON-DISCRIMINATION LEGISLATION The Texas Legislature should adopt legislation that expands protections against discriminations in employment; housing; and public accommodations based upon sexual orientation and gender identity.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 8ON MARRIAGE EQUALITY The Texas Legislature should allow for the repeal the Texas Marriage Constitutional Amendment and discriminatory marriage laws and grant the right of marriage equality to all Texans.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 9ON IMMIGRATION REFORM The United States Congress must pass immigration reform; including an earned path to citizenship for those individuals contributing to the economy and the dependents of those individuals.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 10 ON REVERSAL OF CITIZENS UNITED The Congress of the United States shall pass a constitutional amendment that establishes that money is not speech; and can thus be regulated; and that corporations are not people.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 11ON GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE The Texas Legislature must encourage the use of alternative forms of energy and encourage environmentally-friendly energy resources and speed development of energy-efficient technology; vehicles; appliances and green buildings.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 12 ON VETERANS The Texas Legislature should advocate for veterans; including programs to assist veterans find meaningful employment and ensure benefits; including education and medical care; worthy of their sacrifices.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 13 ON BUY AMERICAN The Office of the Governor should reconsider its stance on and veto of the ‘Buy American Act;’ recognizing the importance of Texan made goods to the Texan economy; and not bend to the whims of international business conglomerates producing inferior products overseas with poorly paid labor.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 14ON BROADBAND ACCESS The Legislature should enable usable; affordable; high speed internet for every family across Texas; allowing all to participate in the twenty-first century’s technology-based economy and providing every child the opportunity to learn the necessary skills to compete in the competitive global environment.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 15ON TEXAS ENTERPRISE FUND The Texas Legislature should implement oversight for the Enterprise Fund; halting the flow of taxpayer money to some of the largest; most profitable companies in the world as favors to political donors of elected officials.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 16 ON STATEWIDE TRANSPORTATION The Texas Legislature should ensure that safe; efficient transportation throughout the state is a priority – especially in rural areas – appropriating sufficient funds to maintain paved roads that allow the state’s products to flow across them efficiently and quickly.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 17 ON EDUCATION The Texas Legislature and Office of the Governor must realize that public education is a right to be enjoyed by all students; not a privileged few; and ensure that funding levels are sufficient so that every student has access to the highest quality teachers; facilities; and supplies.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 18 ON REDISTRICTING The Texas Legislature should adopt fair political boundaries – respecting the notion of one citizen; one vote – while providing opportunities to minority candidates and voters to have their opinions valued and heard.
- REFERENDA ITEM# 19ON UNIONS The Texas Legislature should allow for workers; including public sector employees; to have the rights to collective bargaining and unionization; providing them with an important voice over workplace issues affecting their quality of life.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- seeks to control Government in order to control their neighbor?
- seeks to control government so their neighbor is free to act?
Who would you trust with your lives, families, and fortunes?
- The group who seeks to restrict your actions?
- Or the Individuals who seek to restrict Government’s Power?
Can there be an understanding, a meeting of the minds, when each side views the concepts of duty, responsibility, right, and wrong so differently. When one side seeks “fair” for each different entity or person, while the other side seeks “one rule of law and equal treatment for all”; can there ever be an honest and true understanding attained?
May God bless and keep safe, America, her dream, and her promise.